There are a few country songs that, whenever you hear them, you can't resist stomping your foot and clapping your hands, singing at the top of your lungs while throwing in an occasional, "Yeehaw!" Here's 15 that make me do that. You may not agree with me, but if you did this bunch as a set, you'd have everybody hoarse by the time the set was over..
2. Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys - Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings do this one. I just love jumpin' in on the chorus.
3. Take This Job and Shove It - The David Allen Coe version is the best one. He was the won that wrote it. Johnny Paycheck just did the first version. If you've ever had a crappy job, this one makes you weep.
4. Hey Good Lookin' - Hank Williams Sr. wrote some of the best foot stompers. It's little wonder given the dance halls where he built his career. My favorite version was by Buckwheat Zydeco. I love the way that accordion warbles.
5. Jambalaya - Hank Williams Sr. gets on my list again for this Cajun anthem. My favorite version is the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band rendition
6. Kaw-Lijah - Once again Hank Williams Sr. tosses out a rowdy party anthem about a cigar store Indian's fateful romance. My favorite version is by an East Texas Celtic Band, Beyond the Pale. They do a medley version with bagpipes and fiddles.
7. Okee from Muskogee - When Merle Haggard sings this song, it makes us all wish we wer Okees.
8. Luckenbach, Texas - Then Waylon Jennings sings this one and makes you glad you're from Texas.
9. Waltz Across Texas - Ernest Tubbs wonderfully twangy country anthem makes you want to snatch up your woman and twirl her around the dance floor.
10. Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis. I would have liked to see this one when he was playing at the Louisiana Hayride.
11. Elvira - The Oak Ridge Boys lit a big fire with this one. Oompapa, oompapa, mow, mow!
12. Achy Breaky Heart - To be honest, I included this one by Billy Ray Cyrus because next to "Boot Scootin' Boogie" (which narrowly missed this list) it was the country song that most irritated my teenage boys during their punk/garage band years. I used to do this little dance.......
13. Lucille - Kenny Rogers asks, "Why did you leave me Lucille?" It was downright heartbreaking. Made you want to help him harvest his crops.
15. Drinkenstein - Here's one you probably forgot by someone you would in no way consider a country singer. Written by Dolly Parton and performed by a very Italian Sylvester Stallone in the very funny "Rhinestone". The movie really hacked off country music fans, Stallone fans, Dolly Parton fans, critics and almost everybody except me. I loved the film and Stallone's performance doing "Drinkenstein" was priceless. "Budweiser you've created a monster....and they call him Drinkenstein." I just howled.
You probably hate some of my choices on the list, but I don't care. I like 'em all!
Christian Leaders Sell Their Souls - *Hitler was elected Chancellor in 1933because he promised to make Germanygreat again as a Christian nation.**For a Pocketful of Mumbles....* *Such are p...
1 week ago